Industrial problem: Synthesis of anticancer compounds for drug discovery. Together let’s synthesize beautiful and important organic compounds!
See Dr. Castles full website here
Our research is focused on the total synthesis of architecturally complex bioactive natural products and peptides. We believe that the structures of such compounds can serve as inspiration for the invention of new organic reactions and processes. Additionally, studies of their biological activity can increase our understanding of their modes of action, potentially leading to the design and development of new therapeutic agents. Some of our recent synthetic targets are shown below.
Additional research areas: Bioorganic, Cancer Research, Medicinal and Natural Products
57. Jalan, A.; Kastner, D. W.; Webber, K. G. I.; Smith, M. S.; Price, J. L.;* Castle, S. L.* “Bulky Dehydroamino Acids Enhance Proteolytic Stability and Folding in Beta-Hairpin Peptides.” Org. Lett. 2017, 19, 5190–5193.
51. Cai, Y.; Jalan, A.; Kubosumi, A. R.; Castle, S. L.* “Microwave-Promoted Tin-Free Iminyl Radical Cyclization with TEMPO Trapping: A Practical Synthesis of 2-Acylpyrroles.” Org. Lett. 2015, 17, 488–491.
49. Ma, Z.; Jiang, J.; Luo, S.; Cai, Y.; Cardon, J. M.; Kay, B. M.; Ess, D. H.;* Castle, S. L.* “Selective Access to E- and Z-ΔIle-Containing Peptides via a Stereospecific E2 Dehydration and an O → N Acyl Transfer.” Org. Lett. 2014, 16, 4044–4047.
36. Ma, B.; Banerjee, B.; Litvinov, D. N.; He, L.; Castle, S. L.* “Total Synthesis of the Antimitotic Bicyclic Peptide Celogentin C.” J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2010, 132, 1159–1171.
32. Li, F.; Tartakoff, S. S.; Castle, S. L.* “Total Synthesis of (–)-Acutumine.” J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2009, 131, 6674–6675.
Associate Director, Simmons Center for Cancer Research
The Castle Group 2017
(L to R): Sia Im, James Burton, Amanda Garrity, Concordia Lo, Kei Webber, Steven Castle, Seth Bohman, Yu Cai, Ankur Jalan, Blake Christensen, David Kastner